Skip to Content  |   A to Z Index  |   Kentfield Campus  |   Indian Valley Campus

College of Marin Community Education
Home New Students - Prospective Students Current Students of College of Marin Colletge of Marin Faculty and Staff About the College of Marin College of Marin Search Engine

Sign Up for COM's Emergency Notification System: AlertU – text messages to your phone

You can be notified immediately by text message of campus closures and emergencies by signing up for AlertU, the college’s emergency notification system. Marin Community College District Police Department, with sponsorship from, has an emergency SMS messaging platform to enhance communication services during crisis situations.

AlertU will allow Campus Police to broadcast critical information, in real time, to the mobile devices (cell phones, etc.) of all employees and the student body. This is particularly important for those who may be in, or near, a crisis zone.

To sign up, go to AlertU and follow the directions. There is no cost to sign up for this service; however, standard text message rates may apply.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can take Community Education classes?
Anyone can take a Community Education class—whether you have earned college degrees or not. You can even take Community Education classes at the same time that you are taking credit classes.

What is the difference between credit classes and Community Education classes?
Credit classes are taken to earn grades and college credit, which may allow a credit student to matriculate, earn an Associate’s degree, or transfer to a four-year college or university. Community Education classes are taken to improve yourself, through learning new skills to help you in the workplace or to pursue activities and other interests you may have to enrich your life in a variety of ways. Community Education classes do not require that you earn a grade or a degree in your studies.

Do you have to do homework in Community Education classes?
Community Education classes do not require that you do homework and no papers or tests are required. Students may choose to seriously pursue a special interest and work on class projects and do recommended reading or study for a class, but there is no grade component or credit attached to the class. Passionate learners are always welcome in Community Education classes, as they benefit the most from their active participation in classes.

Who can take Emeritus classes?
Emeritus classes are open to any student, regardless of age, though these classes are recommended as being of special interest to adults age 55 or older. Emeritus classes are priced at a lower fee, to make them more affordable to older students. Emeritus classes actively support the principles of quality of life, lifelong learning, and creative retirement.

What credentials do Community Education instructors have?
Community Education instructors are recognized experts in their course subjects. Some hold advanced degrees, such as the Master of Arts (MA), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), or Juris Doctorate (JD) degrees. Some instructors have a specialized area certification, such as Certified Medical Qigong Practioner or certification in Integrated Yoga Studies. Expert mastery may also be demonstrated by activity-specific rankings, such as being a fourth degree Black Belt in Karate. Other instructors possess highly specialized areas of expertise, which has prepared the instructor to teach as an expert in the subject, whether this area is Argentine Tango or Gardening. Whatever the expert qualifications, all Community Education instructors are screened and interviewed before hiring to ensure their suitability, teaching ability, and aptitude are a fit as College of Marin Community Education instructors.

Can high school students take Community Education classes?
Yes, students who are minors may register for Community Education classes. To take classes, the student must submit a completed Community Education Registration form and a Parent Permission Card. Minors 13 years of age and under must also obtain the verbal consent of the instructor prior to registration. Please note that minors need to keep in mind that these are college classes and that appropriate classroom behavior is expected of them. To contact an instructor or if you have questions about this, please call 415.485-9318.

May I take the same Community Education class more than once?
Community Education classes may be repeated without penalty and sometimes class projects change from class to class, to help students expand their mastery in the subject area for continuing students.

Is there any financial assistance for students taking Community Education classes?
The Emeritus Students College of Marin (ESCOM) Council awards tuition grants, funded by the COM Foundation, to eligible students for any College of Marin course. An application may be obtained in person at the Kentfield Emeritus Center, or by phoning 415.485.9652, and making your request along with your mailing address. Applications must be received by set deadlines to be considered. Please check what the current deadline is at the time of application.

Do I need to see a college counselor to register for Community Education classes?
No counselor approval is required to register for Community Education classes. Please note that some computer and language classes do follow a sequence, and also, that some activity classes may require a specified level of fitness to participate, as indicated in the Schedule course description.

If I like studying a Community Education course subject, may I move to a credit class in the same subject?
Community Education classes are often the first step to discovering a subject offered for college credit. Community Education students who wish to take credit classes must apply to the credit program, which is a different application than what is used for Community Education. Students taking credit classes are advised to meet with an academic counselor before registering for credit classes.

back to top

Community Education web page
Technical Contact: Cheryl Lynn Carlson, Program Specialist, Community Education, Lifelong Learning and International Education, 415.485.9311
Content Responsible: Dr. Jason Lau
, Director, Community Education, Lifelong Learning and International Education, 415.485.9316