What Is Single Stop?
Single Stop’s goal is to provide extra assistance to students with a simple approach...
Single Stop connects students to services including:
- Health Insurance
- Food Programs (CalFresh)
- Affordable Housing
- Utility Assistance (PG&E CARE/FERA)
- Child Care
- Tax Preparation
- Cash Assistance Programs
- Low-Cost Transportation
- Free Financial Advising
- Legal Consultation & Referrals
How It Works
Single Stop provides a comprehensive suite of services under one roof, including benefits counseling, free tax preparation, financial coaching and legal assistance.
Benefit Screenings - Come in to see if you are eligible for:
- Up to $200 per month for groceries
- Free or low cost health insurance
- Reduced utility bills
- Referrals for child care services
- Affordable housing
Financial Advising - Outside of a bank, this service could cost up to $300 per session and Single Stop brings it to you for FREE! Ask their professional financial advisor about:
- Reducing your debt
- Building a budget
- Increasing your savings
- Pulling your credit report for FREE
- Increasing your credit score
Financial Coaching Workshops
Best Practices Regarding Credit
- Credit Cards
- Credit Reports
- Products That Are Good For Clients
- Types Of Loans Such As
- Banks Loans
- Student Loans
- Car Loans
Speaking to an attorney for legal counsel could cost hundreds of dollars per hour to thousands of dollars per case. Meet with a licensed attorney at Single Stop to receive legal advice for FREE. The attorney can help with issues regarding:
- Consumer rights (e.g., unfair debt collection)
- Housing/tenant rights (e.g., eviction notices)
- Employment rights (e.g., wage claims and wrongful termination)
- Medical debt rights
Single Stop also has legal referral information based on the type of legal advice you need such as:
- Family Law
- Benefits Denial
Need taxes done this year and don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars to have them prepared? Visit the Single Stop office and have IRS certified tax preparers assist you with your taxes for FREE. Tax preparers are in office from January - April. Mark your calendar!
Single Stop Results
According to SSUSA 2011 national results Single Stop:
- Returned $21 million to its clients in benefits, tax refunds and services for every dollar invested.
- Completed over 75,000 returns during the 2012 tax season, helping taxpayers receive nearly $112 million in federal and state refunds.
- Saved taxpayers nearly $14 million in tax preparation fees.
A 15 minute appointment with a coordinator can save you hundreds to thousands of dollars in groceries, health insurance, affordable housing, child care services, taxes, financial coaching and legal advising fees!
Tara Arenas, M.A.
Phone: (415) 457-8811 ext. 7761
Arnulfo Cedillo, Ed.D.
Phone: (415) 485-9375
Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday
8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
College of Marin
Student Services Building
Department of Student Affairs
835 College Ave, room 124
Kentfield, CA 94904
back to top
Student Services webpage
Technical Contact: Nicole Cruz, Communications, Community Relations, and Advancement, 415-485-9648
Content Responsible: Arnulfo Cedillo, Director of Student Affairs, 415-485-9375
If you need to post edits to this page, please refer to the Technical Contact listed above.