Frequently Asked Questions
- What kind of testing do you do?
- How can I be assessed for another language like Spanish or Italian?
- What if I’ve taken a class or placement test at another school? Do I still need to take the placement test?
- What do I need to do to take the test?
- What kinds of ID do you accept?
- What can I do to prepare for the test?
- Where can I find my College of Marin student ID number?
- How long does the test take to complete?
- How soon will I see my results?
- What do I do after the test?
back to top
- 1. What kind of testing do you do?
- The testing office primarily offers placement tests for English, math, and credit level ESL, but occasionally proctors exams for College of Marin classes.
- 2. How can I be assessed for another language like Spanish or Italian?
- If you are looking to be assessed for a language other than English, please speak to the instructor of the class you wish to enroll in (for example, SPAN 203) and the instructor will arrange testing for you.
- 3. What if I’ve taken a class or placement test at another school? Do I still need to take the placement test?
- Not necessarily. If you have records from another school they may be used in place of our placement test. To use them for placement purposes you will need to fill out a Prerequisite Equivalency Form and submit it to the Admissions and Records office along with any necessary documentation such as an unofficial transcript or copy of your test scores. Forms may be found on the Admissions and Records web site.
If you have an Advanced Placement (AP) test score in Calculus AB of 3 or higher you can be eligible for Math 123 without having to take the placement test. A score of 680 or higher on the Critical Reading portion of the SAT can make you eligible for English 150 without a placement test. Please check the College of Marin Catalog for more information.
- 4. What do I need to do to take the test?
- You will need to have a College of Marin issued student ID number and photo ID. You do not need a College of Marin ID card to test. You receive your student ID number after submitting an application to the college. (Applications can be submitted online or in person at the Admissions and Records office at either campus).
- 5. What kinds of ID do you accept?
- We will accept a student ID card from College of Marin or another college, high school ID card, driver’s license (any state), passport, or any other form of ID clearly showing your name and photo. We cannot accept photographs or photocopies of IDs.
back to top
- 6. What can I do to prepare for the test?
- Please refer to the study materials.
- 7. Where can I find my College of Marin student ID number?
- Log in to MyCOM/Student Portal. Click on the “Student” tab and then below that “Registration Status.” Your student ID number will appear alongside your name. Your student ID number may also appear on any paperwork from the college such as a schedule of classes you are enrolled in. Your student number will begin with a capital letter M followed by eight numbers, e.g., M00555555.
- 8. How long does the test take to complete?
- There is not a set time length to the English, math, and credit ESL placement tests. Testing appointments are arranged for 3-hour periods, but only rarely will a student need 3 hours to finish placement testing. Students taking a math test along with an English or credit ESL test often fall within a 1- to 2-hour range, but each student will test at a different pace.
- 9. How soon will I see my results?
- In most cases we will have your test results immediately after you finish the test. Rarely, we will have to wait until the next day for results.
- 10. What do I do after the test?
- Typically, new students will schedule an appointment for a Student Success Orientation and see a counselor after completing a placement test. Please visit the Apply and Register web page for more information.
back to top
Assessment and Testing Web Site
Contact: Patrick Garretson, Testing Technician, 415.485.9469
Content Responsible: Dee Fraites, Testing Center Coordinator, 415.485.9498