Contact and Hours
Monday – Friday
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
In certain instances, a student may be eligible to take a makeup test in the Assessment and Testing Center, Student Services Building, Room 238, Kentfield Campus.
The Assessment and Testing Center has established specific times and days for makeup testing. This testing takes place at the Kentfield Campus. In general, days and times are Monday through Thursday at 9:30 a.m. or 1:30 p.m. with limited seating for each time. With advance notice it may be possible to arrange make up testing at the Indian Valley Campus when staff are available.
After determining that a student has met the criteria for taking a makeup test, the instructor contacts the Assessment and Testing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org to authorize the student as approved to take the makeup test. The instructor notifies the student that they may schedule the exam through the ATC. The Assessment and Testing Center staff will not schedule a makeup test requested by a student without prior authorization from the instructor.
Information Needed from Instructors
Instructors will provide the following information to the Assessment and Testing Center:
- Name of student, course name and course number
- The test form, materials normally provided by the instructor and/or a list of additional materials allowed during the test, if any
- Amount of time the student is allowed for the test
- Day and/or time the test offer expires
The Assessment and Testing Center staff do not grade, assess, advise, or otherwise assist students with tests beyond providing test directions, test proctoring, and enforcing test restrictions specified by the instructor. The ATC will not test students without appointments.
Students must have their College of Marin student number (M00######) and provide photo ID (driver’s license, student ID card, passport, etc.) to test. Students who do not present a photo ID at the scheduled test date will not be allowed to test. Students who miss their appointments should contact their instructor again to authorize rescheduling of the makeup test.
Unless other arrangements are made, completed tests will be returned to the instructor’s mailbox in the mailroom at the Kentfield campus or sent to Indian Valley Campus via daily campus courier.
Makeup Recommended Criteria
Makeup exams may be given at the discretion of each instructor and faculty may want to include criteria regarding makeup exams in their syllabi. Per AP 5070, provisions shall be made to accommodate students to reschedule a test or examination for a day that does not violate the student’s religious creed. In addition to religious holidays, faculty may allow makeup exams in the following situations:
- Medical issues
- Death in family/funeral
- Serious injury/injury of/caring for a student’s immediate family
- Accident involving the student, her/his family or their property
- An urgent situation imposed upon a student over which s/he has no control
- Students with a critical need who have their instructor’s authorization to take a makeup exam
In the event that a student misses an exam due to one of the aforementioned reasons and the instructor cannot administer the makeup exam, it may be scheduled at the Assessment and Testing Center. Makeup exams are a courtesy service provided to faculty if space and time allow.
Procedure to Schedule Makeup Exams
- Instructor approves makeup exam (reason meets the criteria) and notifies the student, including date by which the student is to complete the exam.
- Instructor contacts the Assessment and Testing Center at email@example.com to authorize the student to take the exam. Instructor provides all exam materials (including date, length of time, materials that may be used, etc.) to the Assessment and Testing Center at least two working days in advance of the exam.
- Student schedules appointment and Assessment and Testing Center staff administer test according to the guidelines specified and materials provided by the instructor.
- Unless other arrangements are made in advance, completed tests will be returned to the instructor’s mailbox in the mailroom, Kentfield campus, or sent to IVC via daily campus courier.